Friday, April 2, 2010

My first job offer!

As of April 15th I (Michelle) will officially join the Partners In Health (PIH) team in Kigali as their House Manager.  This is a part-time position that provides free housing in exchange for approximately 15 hours of work per week.

My responsibilities include:

1. Overseeing all issues related to the PIH House
2. Supporting the General Administration Assistant (Liliane) with distribution of items needed at the house
3. Manage house staff (guards, cleaners, etc.)
4. Receive and provide administrative and logistical orientation to new coming PIH foreign staff or visitors
5. Manage online spread sheet for Kigali house sign-up
6. Responding to all queries of staff and visitors staying at the house
7. Help visitors at their departure time
8. Manage and support the internet service at the house
9. Ensure a welcoming and pleasant environment for all visitors and staff
10. Working with house staff to follow up and support all repairs to ensure everything is in good condition
11. Aid logistically in management of pick-up and drop-off of items left at the house

This is a great opportunity to save money on living costs and gain some valuable experience in “hotel management,” on a small scale of course.  There are 9 bedrooms and 5 bathrooms in the home, housing around 15 people at a time.  I have signed a 3 month contract as a pilot run to see how it works for both parties.  There hasn’t been a house manager at the PIH home before so this is unchartered territory for both of us.  I am excited to learn a lot about managing a bed & breakfast style home while maintaining a flexible work schedule.  You should see the beautiful house we get to live in!  It is the largest home I have set foot in while being in Rwanda but very sterile with bare walls and empty cabinets.  I couldn’t be more excited to transform the space into a hospitable environment.  The challenge will be establishing realistic goals when dreaming about the many improvements I would like to make.  There isn’t much of a budget so I will have to be creative.

Another reason I chose this job is to have an excuse to bump in to PIH people on a regular basis.  I am so impressed with the work they are doing and would love to get to know them on a personal level.  Please check out their website to read more about their values, mission and vision.  One of their distinctions has been their commitment to serving the people in Haiti.  After the earthquake hit, they have been pivotal in distributing aid to suffering people.  A quick shameless plug: If you are looking for ways to support people in some of the neediest places in the world, donate to PIH now.  You can be confident that your money is in great hands and will be put to good use!

Imana ibarinde kandi ibahe umugisha

5 comments:

  1. Michelle, I am certain that you will have no difficulty "Ensuring a welcoming and pleasant environment for all visitors and staff." :)

    Congrats on the job! I will pray for your confidence and success (and creativity too) as you begin this new experience!

    I think you two are absolutely AMAZING!!! God bless!

    ~Amber Styborski, Fort Wayne, IN

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will happily sleep in a bed and eat breakfast near you guys, any day! I agree with Amber, you will be a natural at this and I can't wait to hear how your experiences unfold. What an amazing opportunity! And, personally I think those PIH people have no idea what luck they've been granted to rub shoulders with you two :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited for you and this great position/opportunity. When the earthquake hit in Haiti, the first thing that our church did was donate to PIH as that seemed to us the most expedient way to get support to the people of Haiti, those that needed help right away. I can just envision you getting into the planning of the house after you move in. Send us some pictures when you get a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Michelle! Or I should say, Congratulations PIH! They are sooo blessed to get you! I'm thrilled about your new digs. What will happen to Esron though? Will you be able to bring him with you?
    Keep us updated! It is going to be a fun crazy road learning the ropes of managing a B&B. WE are thrilled for you!!!!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. wooohooo!! Mich, I'm so excited for you! This sounds like a great opportunity! Every time I read your blog I am just floored and inspired by you and Nate! I am so blessed to know the both of you and your endeavors only fuel the fire in me to continue to SERVE in whatever way I can and put others before myself! Love you guys! Wish you the best these next 3 months as you get acquainted with your new job! xoxoxo Mich from PR ;) ("the fourth sister")

    ReplyDelete